My son loves eggplant and it is always a joy to cook something new for him. Today's experiment was with this fresh eggplant I got from the farm near my office. I had one large eggplant and I was a vaguely planning to make grilled eggplant while driving home from work. After I took 3 big slices from the eggplant, I thought may be I can make a chutney with the remaining eggplant to use as a sandwich spread. OK so here I go..
Ingredients: (makes 3 sandwiches)
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 Chillies ( any kind, I used Serrano, it was really hot !!!)
- 3 T Black channa (black chickpea)
- 1 t Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 t Turmeric powder
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves sliced
- Salt as per taste
- 6 Slices of whole grain bread. (I used my homemade wholewheat bread)
- Take 3 big slices of eggplant
- Slice the remaining eggplant into small slices
- Marinate all eggplant slices and sliced chillies with the salt, Italian seasoning, turmeric powder and olive oil for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile roast black channa with few drops of oil and let it cool.
- Grill the small slices of eggplant & chillies and grind with channa, lemon juice and salt to make the chutney.
- Grill the big slices of eggplant along with garlic slices on top.
- Spread the chutney on the bread and make sandwich with grilled eggplant.
- I pressed the sandwich in the grill for a Panini effect. It tastes good just like that also.