My Son's school was celebrating Harvest Festival last Friday. Harvest festival is their tradition where kids make a stone soup based on the old folk story and parents make their choice of breads/appetizers/desserts. I had not planned anything and since it was a Friday my refrigerator was almost empty. As usual I was thinking of different options while driving back from work. Then I remembered I had few plantains in my fruit basket. We make most of the food for our harvest festival (Onam) with Plantains, why not make something with plantains? This is what I ended up making:
- 3-4 plantains (Kerala bananas)
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut (if you are using frozen, just roast it so that the moisture goes off)
- butter – 2 Tbs.
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Wash and remove both tips.
- Boil with skin on (Pressure cook with say ½ cup water for 3-4 plantains – cooks really fast so 1-2 whistles are enough)
- Remove the skin and mash (you can remove the black seeds in the middle if you want to )
- Sauté on low heat with butter/ ghee and add cardamom.
- While it’s still warm, make them into balls and roll them in coconut. Enjoy :-)