October 7, 2012

Thai Inspired Pumpkin Soup

Since I had stopped using any canned/processed products in my kitchen, I was not making my Thai recipes for a long time. With the addition of VitaMix in my kitchen, I have reinvented coconut milk. Coincidentally WholeFoods has started selling great coconuts in the recent past. This is again an adaptation of a VitaMix recipe.


Pumpkin - 1 cup (skinned and cubed)
Tomato - 1 small
Onion - 1/2 cup (roughly chopped)
Fresh Ginger - 1 inch
Garlic - 1 clove
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tspn
Coconut milk - 3/4 cup (see notes)
Lemon juice - 1 tbsn
Salt - as per tastes
Virgin coconut oil - 1 tbsn

Heat coconut oil on medium heat and saute onion and garlic for a minute, add pumpkin, ginger, tomato and red chilly powder along with 1 cup of water and bring to a quick boil.
Add this along with cocounut milk, lemon juice and salt to VitaMix and puree to get a silky smooth soup. Serve immedietely.
This makes about 3 cups of soup.



Notes:
1. I use VitaMix to make my coconut milk. 1/2 cup of coconut and 1/2 of water will make about 3/4 cup of coconut milk.
2. If you do not have VitaMix or do not have the patience to take coconut milk using a traditional blender, try with regular milk.
3. If you are using a traditional blender, you might want to wait till the soup is cooled down to puree and then warm the soup before serving.