December 11, 2012

Brussel Sprouts with Lentil Crumble

I get long stems of brussel sprouts every fall, from our local vegetable stand. I have tried everything with them - steaming, grilling, roasting .. but this is one dish all of us really enjoy. This recipe is an adaptation of Parippu Usili that my Tamil friends make. My old neighbor and close friend Abi is the one who taught me the original parippu usili and her's is a classic!!


Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Split Peas - 1/2 cup
Asafoetida powder - a pinch
Red chilly - 2-3
Sea Salt - as per taste

Brussel sprouts - 8-10
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
coconut oil - 2 tspn
Sea salt - as per taste

Soak the lentils for about 6 hours or overnight.
Drain and grind along with remaining ingredients into a coarse mixture.
Place on a steamer and steam for about 10 minutes. Let it cool.
Crumble with hands or using a food processor for a more uniform crumble.
Chop brussel sprouts very fine - I use VitaMix at speed 4 for most of my fine chopping.
Heat coconut oil on medium heat, add the chopped brussel sprouts and turmeric powder and cook covered for 2-3 minutes. Add the lentil crumble, mix well, adjust taste and remove from flame. Enjoy !!




No comments:

Post a Comment