December 4, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta with Roasted Eggplant and Tomato-Basil Sauce

When I opened the fridge today, I saw eggplants, tomatoes, mini sweet peppers, basil.. everything leading me to make roasted eggplant pasta - a big favorite in our family. I checked my pantry and sure enough, there was no pasta (store bought that is). Usually, if I decide to make something, I make it -- come what may. I thought of giving homemade pasta a try this time. I was quite satisfied with what I ended up making in the next one hour.



Whole Wheat Pasta:

Whole wheat flour - 1 1/2 cups
Sea Salt - 1/2 tspn
Water - 1/2 cup and 2 tbsn

Knead everything together to make dough. I used my bread machine with dough setting to do this job.
Since I do not have a pasta press, I had to use my Idiappam press with a wider blade to make my pasta :-) I have to admit, it was pretty hard to press the dough out. After I was half way thru the dough, I decided to roll the dough out really thin and cut them into strips instead.
I spread them out for about 15 minutes, to sort of air dry them (a tip I got from one of the pasta makers) so that they don't stick together when you cook.


Roasted Eggplant:

Eggplant - 3 small-medium
Chilly powder - 1 tspn (this is a law heat version)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tspn (it is a habit to add turmeric to almost anything I cook :-) )
Oregano - 1 tspn
Rosemary - 1/2 tspn
Sea salt - 1/2 tspn

While pasta is being air dried, slice the eggplant into strips, mix with all the spices and spread in a baking sheet with EV olive oil sprayed and into my toaster oven at broil - 450 deg for 12 -15 minutes.


Tomato-basil Sauce:


Roma tomatoes - 2
Mini Sweet peppers - 6-7
Basil - small bunch
Garlic - 2 cloves
Green chilly - 1 (optional)
Sea salt - as per taste



Add the tomatoes, 2 sweet peppers, half of the basil, garlic & salt into VitaMix and run at high speed for couple of minutes. Reduce to low speed and add the remaining sweet peppers one by one to make a chunky sauce.




Cook Pasta:
Boil water in pasta boiler (any deep pan would do) add pasta strips and cook for about 3-4 minutes.












Put everything together:
Simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Add the drained pasta and adjust for taste, add the roasted eggplant and enjoy hot !!









No comments:

Post a Comment