January 12, 2013

Quinoa Black Bean Chili

There are a lot of quinoa black bean chili recipes online, and in cookbooks. Of course, chili is not something that I grew up with - it is an acquired taste for me. What I have noticed is that chili is  a slow cooked soup.  I have also noticed that a lot of recipes call for canned beans, canned tomatoes, ready made chili powder, and things like that. I am not a slow cooker person, but more of a quick fix person :-) I don't use anything canned either. So what I have tried is to give the slow cooker feel by using VitaMix blending. Also, instead of using ready made chili powder, I used roasted garlic, oregano, sweet peppers, and red chilly powder. Then I  added them while blending in my VitaMix. 



  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1/2 cup Black bean
  • 3 Roma tomatoes
  • 2 small sweet peppers
  • 1 tbsp of cumin
  • 2 cups of veg broth *
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 -3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp Red chilly powder
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Chopped cilantro
  • EV Olive oil - 1 tbsp


  • Soak Black bean and quinoa separately overnight
  • Cook Black bean with 1 cup of water - I use pressure cooker for this
  • Cook quinoa with 3/4 cup of water - can be done on a saucepan or pressure cooker taking care to not overcook it
  • Meanwhile, crush garlic, chop onion , dice sweet peppers, quarter 1 tomato and chop the remaining 2 tomatoes.
  • Heat olive oil in a deep sauce pan and saute garlic along with cumin and oregano till garlic is slightly browned
  • Transfer to VitaMix jar along with quartered tomato, diced sweet pepper, 2 big scoops from the cooked black bean , red chilly powder and vegetable broth. Start  with speed 1 and increase to 10 and high and blend for couple of minutes till you get a silly smooth puree - this is the soup base.
  • Now to the same saucepan add chopped onion and saute till slightly golden. Add chopped tomatoes, cooked Black bean and quinoa, pureed soup base and salt. Mix well and give a quick boil and adjust taste . You don't need to really simmer for a long time since VitaMix blending is already giving the slow cooked feel to the soup.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.





* Note: I make my vegetable broth by pressure cooking my left over vegetables towards the end of the week, pressure cooking them with enough water and then straining them. I don't add salt because I like to control the amount of salt when I make soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment