February 2, 2013

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Soup and salad is our regular lunch these days. Some days I look at my son's school lunch menu and I try to make the same thing at home. This is a recipe from Vitamix cookbook which calls for heavy cream. I cannot justify having a cup of heavy cream as part of soup that is supposed to be nutritious and healthy, so I am substituting it with potato or yam.


  • Asparagus - 15 spears
  • Garnet Yam or Potato- 1 medium
  • Onion - 1 medium
  • Green chilly - 1
  • Sea salt - as per taste
  • Vegetable broth* - 2 cups



  • Peel and cube potato/yam and boil them, no need to overcook, we are going to puree it.
  • Dice the onion. Remove the bottom 2 inches. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
  • Cook the asparagus, green chilly and diced onion in vegetable broth, again no need to over cook, just wilt the veggies.
  • Reserve few pieces of asparagus. Add everything else to blender and puree. Add salt and adjust taste.  Add the reserved asparagus pieces and serve warm.





* I usually make my vegetable broth from my left over vegetables from the week. Since I did not have it this time, I simmered the bottom portion of asparagus in 2 cups of water for 10-15 minutes and strained it.

No comments:

Post a Comment