May 21, 2013

Black Rice Mini-Cake-Bites (Vegan Gluten Free)


You can say this recipe was made by accident. I was actually planning to make black rice orange cookies, but when I came back from my weekend shopping, I realized that I did not buy oranges. I had my black rice already soaking for a few hours. So I had to find something else to add the flavor to the cookies instead of orange. I wanted to give cinnamon and cocoa a try with black rice and they did compliment each other quite well. Also, instead of powdering and mixing the cookie dough, I decided to grind everything. Once I was done with the grinding and mixing, I wanted to give it a nice and cute shape. So instead of making drop cookies, I poured the batter into mini cupcake tins and baked them a little longer. Result was a cute looking, sweet cake bites :-)

  1. Black rice - 1/2 cup - Soaked for 4-6 hours
  2. Organic coconut palm sugar - 1/4 cup
  3. Organic raw Honey - 2 Tbs (optional - or add 1-2 dates instead) 
  4. Filtered water - 1/2 cup
  5. Sea salt - 1/4 tsp
  6. Organic virgin Coconut oil - 1/4 cup
  7. Organic dried shredded coconut - Coconut - 1/4 cup
  8. Cinnamon - 1 tsp.
  9. Organic cocoa powder - 1 Tbs.
  10. Baking soda - 1/2 tsp.


  • Grind ingredients 1-5 into a fine batter. 
  • Towards end of grinding, add the remaining ingredients - coconut oil, shredded coconut, baking soda and cinnamon to the batter and mix well. 
  • Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Grease mini cupcake tins with coconut oil. 
  • Fill a tablespoon each of the batter into mini cupcake tins. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or till nice and firm. Let them cool completely over wire racks. Enjoy them while they last !!


No comments:

Post a Comment