Among our favorite raw entrées are different variations of raw pasta. The taste of the pasta dish comes from the sauce and the spices, and not from the pasta itself. It becomes better if the sauce is made fresh, instead of the stale and salty store-bought sauces. Our raw pasta is made from vegetables, using a variety of yams and squashes. Take a piece of sweet potato or Japanese yam, and compare that with a piece of any pasta; one to one the veggie tastes better than the pasta as it is juicy and flavorful. So now when you have the same sauce added to a tasty veggie and a bland pasta, the one with the fresh veggie pasta becomes even more flavorful, while the one that has the regular pasta becomes better, and just that :).
One can get really innovative with the sauces, and the Pad-Thai sauce with coconut milk is one of our favorites. Here is the recipe..
- Organic yams - 2 (Japanese or garnet)
- Lemon juice -2-3 Tbs.
- EV Olive oil - 1-2 Tbs
- Peel and julienne yams using a sharp knife or spiral slicer.
- Toss with olive oil and lemon juice and keep aside for 30 minutes to an hour.
- If you are not comfortable eating the yam raw, steam them after slicing them.
- Raw pumpkin seeds - 2 Tbs.
- Organic raw sunflower seeds - 2 Tbs.
- Organic raw peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Fresh ginger root - 1 inch piece
- Red chilly - 1-2
- Tamarind - 1 tsp (adjust according to kind of tamarind)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sea salt - 1/2 tsp
- Organic coconut palm sugar - 1/2 tsp.
- Home made coconut milk - 3/4 cup *
- Add everything except peanuts to blender jar and purée till you get a fine sauce.
- Adjust taste, and add a little filtered water if you want to adjust consistency.
- Add peanuts and continue on law speed till peanuts are just crushed.
Raw Pad Thai Salad:
- Raw noodles (see above)
- Raw pad Thai sauce (see above)
- Purple Bok choy - 1 head **
- Organic red/yellow peppers -2
- Red onion - 1/2
- Mung bean sprouts - 1 1/2 cups
- Extra raw peanuts and raw sesame seeds to top.
- Julienne peppers and red onions.
- Take out few outer leafs from the Bok choy and keep aside. Thinly slice the rest of the Bok choy.
- Toss the noodles and suce together. Mix the sliced veggies. Serve topped with peanuts and sesame on the Bok choy leaves that you kept aside.
- We even had some pad Thai rolled up in Bok choy leaves.
* To make homemade coconut milk:
- Dry or fresh coconut meat 1/2 cup
- Filtered water - 3/4 cup.
- Puree well in a high speed blender and pass thru a cheesecloth or any clean kitchen towel and squeeze well.
**Purple Boy Choy:
- I am trying Purple Boy choy for the first time from Spot Hill Farm near my son's school. You could substitute any leaf of choice.