- Mung sprouts - made with 1/2 cup of beans (see notes)
- Homemade coconut milk - 1 cup (see notes)
- Tomatoes - 3
- Yellow onion - 1
- Fresh ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Green chillies - 2-3
- Virgin coconut oil - 1 Tbs.
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
- Sea salt - as per taste.
- Chopped cilantro - for garnish
- Finely chop onion and crush ginger. Quarter tomatoes and run it in your blender along with green chillies to get a chunky puree.
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat and add cumin seeds and saute for a few seconds.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic and saute for a few seconds taking care not to burn.
- Add chopped onion and saute for about a minute or till onion is slightly golden.
- Add the tomato puree, turmeric powder and salt and let it simmer for a 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sprouts, coconut milk and about a cup of water. Cook covered for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. I cook just enough so that the sprouts are not overcooked and are still slightly crunchy.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve warm with red or brown rice on the side.
Sharing it on Alive & Thrive Thursday
How to make Mung sprouts:
- Day 1- Wash the mung beans and soak them in plenty of water.(12-18 hours)
- Day 2- Drain off all the water, rinse the beans couple of times and drain all the water completely. Keep the beans in a stainless steel (or any opaque) jar. Cover the jar with a clean cloth and secure it with a rubber band. Repeat the rinsing and draining 1 or preferably 2 times more.
- Day 3- Same as day 2 - you should start seeing good amount of sprouting today.You could very well start using the sprouts today, but waiting for one more day will give you really long and crunchy sprouts.
- Day 4- You should see sprouts as long as an inch or more by day 4. Ready to use in your salads or other dishes.
** If you don't have an opaque jar, just use a glass jar, but make sure to keep away from sunlight.
How to make homemade coconut milk:
- Dry or fresh coconut meat - 1/2 cup
- Filtered water - 1 cup.
- Puree well in a high speed blender and pass thru a cheesecloth or any clean kitchen towel and squeeze well.