June 23, 2013

'Spaghetti' Squash with Wild Rice

Even though I always buy and cook spaghetti squash, I had never thought of actually making 'spaghetti' out of it, till last week. Since it is summer camp time, I have to pack lunches for my son. I don't want him to have a few slices of veggies in between a couple slices of bread -  a.k.a sandwich every afternoon. Like how Michael Pollan mentions in his latest book 'Cooked' the sad state of cooking these days as "Home or away, a sandwich is today the most popular meal in America." I always wanted my son to know and appreciate that there is a whole world of different flavors and textures out there that you can explore and enjoy, while still not loosing the convenience of a packed lunch. This one was sure a big hit with him for last week's lunch box. It is a simple dish (more of a salad) using the natural texture of spaghetti squash and spicing it up a little bit in an Indo-chinese way.


  • Spaghetti squash - 1 medium
  • Wild rice - 1/2 cup (or just use brown rice)
  • Homemade tomato-chilly sauce - 1/2 cup (see note below)
  • Virgin coconut oil - 1 Tbs.
  • Garlic - 2 cloves
  • Red pearl onions - 4-5
  • Green peas - 1/2 cup
  • Cauliflower - 1 cup (small florets)
  • Raisins - handful

  • Cut spaghetti squash thru the length into 2 halves. Keep cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 370 degree toaster oven.
  • Take out the squash from the oven and let it cool for about 10-15 minutes. Then scoop out the 'spaghetti' strings.
  • Cook rice with little less than a cup of water. I cook in a pressure cooker, but you can do on stove top as well, just that you need to pay attention. 
  • While the spaghetti is getting ready, and rice is being cooked, you can prepare rest of the ingredients. 
  • Finely chop garlic and pearl onion. Heat coconut oil on medium heat and saute chopped garlic and onion till slightly golden. Transfer to a bowl. 
  • In the same pan add green peas and cauliflower and cook covered. I just let them cook with water within them and cook just enough so that they are nice and crispy.
  • Once everything is ready to go, just toss everything with your homemade tomato-chilly sauce. Add extra salt or pepper as necessary. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes before serving.





Homemade tomato-chilly sauce: 
Start cooking quartered tomatoes and red chillies. Cook covered (no need to add any water). Stir occasionally if necessary. Once the liquid is almost completely evaporated (in about 20-30 minutes) add sea salt and coconut palm sugar according to taste and remove from flame. Let it cool down and them grind to a smooth sauce. If I am planning to use tomato sauce for any of my recipes, I plan ahead an make the sauce either that morning or previous night. I have not tried keeping it for more than a day, but should refrigerate well for a few days. Proportions usually depend on how much I need and what am I going to use it for.

Note: I would recommend everyone to read Michael Pollen's 'Omnivores Dilemma' and all foodies to read 'Cooked', both are very interesting and eye-opening reads.



2 comments:

  1. the recipe seems nice, will try it. Heard the author of "Cooked" Michael Pollan, speak on "science friday" on National public radio and the book sounded interesting. Waiting to get it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, let me know how it turns out, I am sure you will add your custom touches when you make it :-)
    and yes, the book is a good read too!

    ReplyDelete