July 7, 2013

Ambrosia Fruit Salad (Raw-Vegan)

The name 'Ambrosia' sounds very divine and soulful, and translates to the 'food of gods'. Still, I never thought of making an Ambrosia Fruit Salad because of the ingredients that a goes into one. If you look up for Ambrosia salad on the web, you will find everything from whipped cream, marshmallows to loads of refined sugar as part of the ingredients, the gods would run away seeing that :).

When I found one of the fellow bloggers Quincy@Shugurcan posted a raw-vegan ambrosia sometime back, that sounded really interesting and it called for only wholesome and light ingredients. That is how I decided to make it and now it is on our breakfast menu. Yes, breakfast !! I believe that if we use the right kind of organic, wholesome, plant based ingredients which include good fats, good sweeteners and contains mostly fruits, then yes, why not have the dessert for breakfast :-)


  • Organic pineapple - 1/2
  • Organic apple -1
  • Oranges - 2
  • Organic raw cashew nuts - 1/4 cup (Soaked for few hours or overnight)
  • Organic  raw sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup (Soaked for few hours or overnight)
  • Raw honey - 2 Tbs. (or other vegan sweetener)
  • Shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
  • Organic banana - 1 (preferably sliced and frozen)
  • Organic blueberries - 1/2 cup (optional for decorating)
  • Organic raspberries - 1 cup   (optional for decorating)

  • Take juice from one orange.
  • Peel the other orange using a knife and make orange slices without the white part.
  • Remove the skin and core from pineapple and chop to tiny bites.
  • Chop apples to tiny bites.
  • Toss the fruits with orange juice and set aside or keep refrigerated while you prepare the 'cream'.
  • To make the 'cream', add the soaked drained nuts/seeds, frozen banana slices and honey into a blender and blend till you get a nice and smooth 'cream'. 
  • Layer the fruits (mixed earlier) in any right sized serving dish. Spread the 'cream' on top. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top. Decorate with berries/orange slices. I made this last for July 4th and decorated as US flag :-)

8 comments:

  1. I love the patriotic version! The cashew banana cream sounds so good! Would you be interested in sharing this at Raw Foods Thursday? This salad is perfect!

    http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/08/raw-foods-thursdays-8713/

    Hope to see you there!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I would love to.. just linked it up.
      Thanks Heather :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for sharing it!! I'll be highlighting it at this week's Raw Foods Thursdays as my theme is "dessert for breakfast". YUM! Thanks for joining in our fun. I hope you'll be back with more raw deliciousness!!

      Heather

      Delete
    3. 'Dessert for breakfast' theme sounds great, looking forward :-)

      Delete
  2. Neat! I made a pie with similar ingredients, but now I am thinking of how to make it mostly raw. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SwirlsandSpice, do you have this pie recipe in your blog ? If so, would love to check that out..

      Delete
  3. I adore this twist on a fruit salad. I am thinking about trying a raw food diet again for a short period soon and this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine, my family loves this for breakfast, they will be happy if I serve this everyday ;-)

      Btw, I love all the green smoothies from you. I wanted to tell you this every time I check one of the smoothie recipe, but by the time I come out of the 'Recipage' and browse around I will find another awesome smoothie and I usually get lost :-)

      Delete