July 23, 2013

Bulgur Wheat - Green Tomato Salad w/ Quick Avocado-Lime Dressing.

Green tomatoes are very 'summer-like'. As soon as I saw some at our local farmer's market, I bought them, as I wanted to make a summer salad. I also have two tomato plants in my modest patio garden, of which one is taking forever to ripen. So I might lose my patience and pick them too soon :-)





I love eating bulgur wheat. Just remember to soak it the previous night and you'll have it ready to make salad with the next day. This is a very simple and flexible salad with bulgur. You can also replace bulgur with quinoa or millet if you want a gluten free version. To complement this salad, I made a quick and simple dressing with avocado, jalapeño and lime.

  • Bulgur wheat - 1/2 cup -soaked over night
  • Green tomatoes - 2 - large
  • Jalapeño - 1-2
  • Cucumber - 1 small
  • Avocado - 1
  • Spinach -  2 cups
  • Fresh basil - 1/2 cup
  • Sea salt - as per taste
  • Fresh lime juice - from half of a lime
  • Virgin coconut oil - to drizzle

  • Slice each green tomato into about 8 slices. Slit open jalapeños. Spread both on a baking sheet with drizzled coconut oil and broil at 450 deg on your toaster oven for about 10-12 minutes.


  • Drain any excess water from bulgur.
  • Chop spinach, basil, cucumber and broiled tomatoes. Toss with drained bulgur and set aside.
  • Finely chop the broiled jalapeños. Mash the avocado meat with back of a fork and mix with chopped jalapeños, salt and lime juice. This is your quick avocado-lime dressing :-) 
  • Serve the salad with the dressing on the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment