I used to send him Chapati wraps (whole wheat rotis) in previous years. These days we are trying to avoid gluten from our diet as much as possible, so I wanted to substitute the whole wheat chapatis with a gluten free option. This is basically dosa wraps, just that the dosa is made with millet as it provides firmness to the dosa, which is essential for a wrap, along with all the nutritional benefits of millet.
I generally make a spread or chutney, and add some greens, or roasted veggies to make my wrap. I am adding the basic spread and greens recipe below, but this can really be customized. Spinach generally goes very well with this wrap, it can be added to the spread as well as to the wrap. Wilted kale or fenugreek (methi) leaves would be great too.
Millet Dosa (Crepe):
- Pearl Millet - 1/2 cup
- Idli rice - 2 Tbs.
- Brown rice - 2 Tbs.
- Whole urud - 3 Tbs.
- Methi seeds - 1 Tbs.
- Soak urud and methi seeds together and millet and rice together for 3-4 hours.
- Drain urud/methi and grind in a wet grinder or blender by sprinkling very little water. Grind till very fine and transfer to a bowl.
- Drain millet/rice and grind by sprinkling water. Grind till you get a fine batter. Add to the ground urud and mix well.
- Add extra water if needed and salt and keep aside for 6-8 hours for fermentation.
- You will know if fermented just enough, when the batter has risen to about an inch from the original level.
- When ready to make, you could add extra water if needed, you need pancake batter consistency.
- Heat the griddle, wipe with a little coconut oil and spread about 1/4 cup of batter and spread it like a dosa/crepe.
- When you feel that the dosa/crepe is nice and firm (in about 30 seconds) slowly lift from all sides and flip. Cook for about 30 seconds more on the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Wipe griddle with coconut oil in between each dosa/crepe.
- This will make about 8 dosas/crepes.
Spinach Pumpkin Seed Spread:
- Spinach - 1 cup
- Pumpkin seeds - 3 Tbs.
- Ginger - 1-2 cloves
- Cilantro - 1/2 cup -chopped
- Shredded coconut -2 Tbs (optional)
- Green chilly - 1 (optional)
- Sea salt - as per taste
- Lemon Juice- 2 Tbs.
- Blend everything to a fine spread/chutney consistency. You need a thick spread, so add water only if absolutely necessary to run the blender.
- Any greens (Methi leaves, Spinach, Kale) - 2 cups (chopped)
- Green peas - 1/2 cup (Optional)
- Red onion - 1 ()
- Sea salt a pinch
- Virgin coconut oil - 1 tsp
- Heat coconut oil and saute onion till the raw smell goes away.
- Add green peas (if using) and cook for a minute or so (they cook really fast).
- Add chopped greens and stir quickly so that the greens just wilt and remove from flame.
Sharing it for Pure Potluck Party: Summer Picnic