My son called these munchkins. These are small energy balls packed with wholesome, organic, plant based, raw ingredients and can be put together in less than 10 minutes, while staying well on the shelf or refrigerated for a week or so. These are good alternatives to any store bought munchkins or snack bites. Now if you are thinking that you can buy those organic, raw energy bars, I would say these would work much better economically as well :-)
I make batches of these munchkins/energy balls most weekends, varying the nut proportions and flavors, so that my son has a nutritious and tasty snack after coming back in the evening from school or the summer camp. He loves to have this with his serving of organic homemade almond milk.
- Raw almonds - 1/4 cup
- Raw shredded coconut - 1/4 cup
- Raw sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Raw peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Raw goji berries - 2 Tbs.
- Chia seeds - 1 Tbs.
- Himalayan salt - a pinch
- Raw cocoa powder - 2 Tbs
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
- Medjool dates - 5
- Add ingredients 1 thru 7 into a dry blender or food processor and start pulsing on medium speed till you get a everything ground coarsely.
- Remove half of the nut mixture to a bowl and reserve.
- Add dates, cinnamon, cocoa to the remaining half and continue pulsing on medium speed till dates are mashed well and everything starts to bind together.
- Transfer everything to the bowl with the reserved nut mixture and mix well with your hand or a wooden spoon.
- Make walnut sized balls/munchkins. This makes about 15 munchkins. Store in airtight containers. Can be stored on the shelf or refrigerated if you prefer them chilled.
Disclaimer: The name munchkins just means they are tiny and does not have any resemblance in taste or ingredients to the Dunkin Donuts' munchkins. I am embarrassed to admit that I used to buy them as treats for my son long back, before we became more aware of the food around us and turned to our now healthy lifestyle :-(.
Submitting this to Raw Foods Thursdays