July 26, 2013

Wild Rice & Moong Dhokla w/ Roasted Garlic Tomato Basil Soup


Today morning, when I soaked wild rice and moong, I had not decided what to make with it.  I was planning to make something to go with my Roasted Garlic Tomato Basil Soup. Then I remembered a long pending trial (of making Dhokla) and decided today is Dhokla day:).




Dhokla is a Gujarati steamed dish made with fermented batter and one or more types of lentils. The varieties I have tasted at restaurants or at pot-lucks are made with either store bought Dhokla mixes or with chickpea flour. I don't buy any store bought mixes for sure, and I also restrict the kinds of prepared flours that I buy. I try to make flours myself as much as possible. I also believe in the nutritional benefits of soaking and sprouting whole grains and lentils, as they will be more alive as they sprout, which will bring out more live enzymes and nutrients. Hence try to make use of soaking as much as possible and then grinding to make my batter.

I have seen a bunch of recipes which make Dhokla from scratch using one or more lentils, or a combination of lentils and rice. I tried something in that line using wild rice and whole moong and the result was pretty impressive. And of course, I served it with the Roasted Garlic Tomato Basil Soup as planned :)

Wild Rice & Moong Dhokla

For the batter:
  • Wild rice - 1/2 cup (soaked for about 4+ hours) (I use Lundberg brand Wild Rice Blend)
  • Whole moong - 1/2 cup (soaked for about 4+ hours)
  • Homemade yogurt - 1/2 cup 
  • Sea salt as per taste
  • Fresh ginger - 1 inch long piece
  • Green chilly - 1-2
  • Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
For garnish:
  • Lime -1 (cut into wedges)
  • Cilantro - 1/2 cup chopped

Optional for tempering:
  • Coconut oil - 1 Tbs
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp


  • Drain rice and moong and grind into a batter adding the yogurt and salt. Keep aside for 6-8 hours for fermenting.
  • Just before making Dhokla crush the ginger and green chilly and mix into the batter. Also mix in the baking soda.
  • Grease a round 6 inch plate (or cake pan) with a bit coconut oil and pour the batter and steam it for about 15 minutes or until a knife test comes out clean.
  • Once you take out the Dhokla from the steamer, squeeze fresh lime on top and add chopped cilantro.
  • Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and slice into wedges and serve.


Roasted Garlic Tomato Basil Soup


  • Tomato - 6-8 (I used Campari )
  • Garlic - 3-4 cloves
  • Homemade vegetable broth - 3 cups 
  • Basil leaves - handful
  • Bay leaves -2 small
  • Red chilly - 1
  • Black pepper cons - 10
  • Coconut oil - 1 tsp.
  • Sea salt as per taste

  • Heat coconut oil in a sauce pan or soup pot and roast garlic till slightly browned.
  • Add red chilly, pepper, halved tomatoes and sauté for a minute or so.
  • Add this along with the broth to a high speed blender jar and purée till smooth.
  • Transfer back to the soup pot, add bay leaves and basil leaves. Simmer or medium heat for 5 -10 minutes till all flavors mix really well.
  • Remove bay leaves before serving. Optionally add freshly squeezed lime juice and enjoy !!


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... I LOVE dhokla and must try this recipe. I've only had it from a package at an Indian market (frozen) and it seemed to contain a ton of oil. But the texture was divine. Can you tell me where to get a large enough steamer to contain the cake pan? Thank you, Mini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helyn,
      I don't have a steamer as such. I use my pasta boiler as a steamer which can fit pans upto 6 inches. If I use a bigger size pan, I take my biggest saute pan with a lid as my makeshift steamer :) If you have a rice cooker, that can act as a steamer too.

      Delete