August 2, 2013

Raw Jicama 'Rice' Sushi Rolls


This is the latest item that I am adding to my Raw EntrĂ©e menu. This time it is Sushi Rolls, a favorite in the household. I have made sushi rolls in the past with different kinds of rice, like red rice, sushi rice, brown rice, a combination of rice & lentils, combination of rice & sweet potato, etc. Here is one made with yet another kind of 'rice'. It is special because, you don't need to cook this 'rice' as it is raw!! As some of you might have guessed, this is not a rice, but any suitable vegetables chopped fine to resemble the look and texture (to some degree) of rice. There are a lot of videos and blog posts out there which describes what vegetables to use and how one can make raw 'rice'.

Jicama is a new addition to my grocery shopping list. It has a texture and flavor somewhere between a pear and a potato. It is a root vegetable like potato or yam, and is very juicy like pear and mildly sweet as well. The best part is that unlike some root vegetables, Jicama is low in calories and has a very high fiber content. It is also very rich in Vitamin C and Potassium.

You could also be creative and try other vegetables for making your 'rice'. I have tried zucchini, though I would any day make this again with Jicama because the crunchy and sweet 'rice' is really irresistible.

What you need:

Jicama  - 1 (medium-large)
Nori sheets - 2-3 (I buy Emerald Cove Organic Pacific Sushi Nori) 
Fillings - Avocado, cucumber, carrots, spinach


To prepare the 'rice'


  • Peel the skin and dice the jicama into small cubes.
  • Add the cubes into a food processor or blender.
  • Process till you get the jicama finely chopped resembling rice.
  • I use Vitamix to do this. I run at speed 4 and keep adding the jicama cubes few at a time till all the cubes are chopped fine.
  • Squeeze out excess water from the chopped jicama using a clean kitchen cloth.
  • The Jicama 'rice' is now ready to be used for your sushi rolls.
  • (I got about a cup of jicama juice, which is really good to drink just like that. But I used it as a base for my sesame-ginger-lime sauce to dip my sushi rolls.)

Fillings:


  • I used spinach, carrots julienned, cucumber julienned and avocado slices, but possibilities  are endless.

To make Sushi Rolls: 

  • Keep the Nori sheet rough side up on the bamboo sushi mat or a clean foldable kitchen mat.
  • Spread about 1/2 cup of 'rice' on the nori leaving 1 inch on the side facing you. If you have space left on the opposite side, that is fine.
  • Lay your fillings as you wish leaving about an inch from the side facing you. 
  • Start rolling using the mat as a guide firmly pressing as you go.
  • The moisture from the jicama 'rice' will automatically seal the roll else you might have to give it a touch of water to seal.
  • Cut into an inch slices. Enjoy!! 
  • I served them with homemade soy sauce substitute and Sesame Ginger Lime Sauce. (see below)


Sharing this on 




Sesame-Ginger-Lime Sauce:
  • Raw white sesame seeds - 4 Tbs.
  • Fresh ginger - 1 Tbs chopped
  • Lime juice - from half a lime
  • Red chilly - 1
  • Sea salt - per taste
  • Juice squeezed from jicama - 1/2 cup or more for a thinner sauce.

  • Blend everything in a blender to get a creamy sauce.

8 comments:

  1. Really good. I so wanted to make it but one or other reasons I don't, now surely going to. Visit me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linsy :)
      you have a nice blog too, I love Gujarati food, I will be browsing often..:)

      Delete
  2. Mahesh has made sushi with cucumber, beets, rice, tofu.We have jicama and will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I remember the 'Sushi'la pictures he had posted :)
      You will love this version since you guys already eat Jicama frequently..

      Delete
  3. By sesame do you mean seeds or oil? If oil, is it the toasted kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitblu,
      I used sesame seeds (raw white sesame seeds).. I will update the recipe, thanks for pointing out :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow Mini! These look DELISH! I have really enjoyed visiting your blog and reading your recipes... So much so that I have nominated you to be the recipient of the Liebster Blog Award. Have you heard of it? It's a ton of fun. Head over to my post here to read about it: http://helynshealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-liebster-blog-award.html

    You don't have to accept if you don't want to. It's all just a fun way of us bloggers helping one another to reach more readers. Thanks for sharing so many of your spectacular dishes! Super job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Helyn, very well deserved ..!!
      Thanks a lot for nominating me, I hope I will be able to work on this soon..

      Delete