September 6, 2013

Black Bean Raisin Soup

Black bean and raisin ?, really??, and that too in a soup??? This is exactly what I thought when I first heard of the Curried Red Lentil Apricot Soup from Ravisoups. I decided give it a try anyway as it was simple, interesting and had an honest feel to it..., and it turned out to be a really good try. Sweet'n'sour and pleasant'n'refreshing, and needless to say Quick'n'Healthy :-). Once we made the original one a few times, my son wanted me to try it with black bean (he is a big black bean lover). When I got around to make the black bean version, I was out of dried apricots, so I had to substitute with raisins. This is by far the best black bean soup I have made or tasted. I guess we all love this version more than the original lentil version now ;-)

  • Black beans - 1 cup
  • Raisins - 1/2 cup (I used Newman's own organics)
  • Tomatoes - 3 
  • Red onion - 1 medium
  • Ginger - 1 T (chopped)
  • Garlic - 1 T (chopped)
  • Coriander seeds - 1 T
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp 
  • Homemade coconut milk - 1 cup 
  • Virgin coconut oil - 1 T 
  • Sea salt - as per taste.

  • Wash and soak black beans about 6 hours or overnight
  • Drain and cook black beans with about 3 cups of water (in a pressure cooker or on soup pot) 
  • Meanwhile, grind coriander and cumin seeds together in coffee/spice grinder.*
  • Chop ginger, garlic, onion and tomato. 
  • Heat coconut oil on low-medium and saute, onion, ginger and garlic, just till their raw smell goes away. Add chopped tomatoes, raisins, ground spices, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for a minute or so. Remove from flame.
  • Transfer this to a blender jar. Add couple of scoops of cooked black beans and puree well. 
  • Transfer back to soup pot, add remaining cooked black beans and remaining liquid. 
  • Warm on low heat, add coconut milk, adjust salt if necessary.
  • Serve warm. Enjoy!! 
  • This serves 4.






2 comments:

  1. I love a yummy puree soup once the fall season hits - I can't wait to try these ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too, a warm bowl of soup would be so nice on a fall evening ;-)
      Let me know how it turns out when you try this.

      Delete