September 28, 2013

Cherry Banana Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Admit it, we all love ice creams, but do we know what all goes into a store bought pint of ice cream? Do we care? I do, and I try to read the labels, but most of the time I have to say that I am disappointed with the ingredient list. Loads of sugar is my main concern with these store bought ice creams. Of course, the ingredient list does not tell you how much of sugar is loaded into it, and most of the time you just have to guess what kind of sugar it is. There are some health conscious and responsible brands too which use very minimal and basic ingredients. They use all-organic, gmo-free, and soy-free ingredients. I have problems here as well, I guess it is not easy to satisfy me :-).

There are some brands that one might associate with as healthy and socially responsible, and Ben&Jerry is one of them (or used to be one until it became part of the food giant Unilever). On a recent visit to lock Island, we checked out their store and on looking at the ingredient list we found something was not right. On checking with the associate there, they were kind enough to provide a detailed ingredient list (It was good to see that they are transparent), sure enough it had GMOs and corn based ingredients and hardly anything organic..., surely a far cry from the old Ben&Jerry. So we thanked them and stepped out of the store. Btw, it is good to see B&J take a stand against GMOs by pledging to move to a GMO free menu in 2 years.

We limit buying ice cream to an occasional affair and try making my own organic versions of our favorite flavors at home. This way I know what is in my ice cream, how much sugar (or anything for that matter) goes into it, and at the same time enjoying our all time favorite frozen dessert, the ice cream :-). So here is my take on the Ben&Jerry classic 'Cherry Garcia', with a little twist to it.



This one has just 5 ingredients, that includes the 3 ingredients used to make my homemade chocolate chips! You just need to remember to freeze a couple of bananas and also remember to pit the cherries and freeze them too. You could also choose to just pick up a bag or two of organic frozen cherries when they are on sale at the grocery store. If you have these 2 tasks done ahead of time, then the ice cream just takes less than 10 minutes to put together. To top it all, it is raw, vegan, dairy free and all organic :)



For chocolate chips:

  • Raw cacao butter - 1/4 cup (shaved from blocks and loosely packed)
  • Raw cacao powder - 2 T
  • Raw turbinado sugar - 1 T

  • Melt cacao butter over a pot of warm water.
  • Dissolve the sugar in a tablespoon of water.
  • Mix everything without lumps and pour into a small container lined with parchment paper. 

  • Keep in freezer for about 5-10 minutes and there, you have your homemade chocolate block which you can chop up and add to your ice cream.

         




For Ice cream:
  • Frozen bananas - 2 
  • Pitted cherries - 1/2 cup (frozen)
  • Pitted cherries - 1/2 cup (fresh - optional for topping)

  • Add frozen banana slices and frozen cherries into vitamix jar.
  • Process at high speed, continuously  tamping down till everything nice and creamy. Everything should take less than a minute. 
  • Scoop out and serve immediately topped with chocolate chips and fresh cherries.
  • This is a soft serve kind of ice cream and should be enjoyed immediately for best results. 
  • I have not tried freezing this ice cream and serving it later, but definitely something that I would try for serving for guests. 




4 comments:

  1. I love this!! I've just recently been experimenting with banana soft serve and love it! I'll be adding cherries next! And I love that you shared how to make chocolate chips! Thanks so much for sharing this at Raw Foods Thursdays. I'll be highlighting this at this week's event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :-)
      Looking forward to the new collection of raw recipes on Thursday!

      Delete
  2. Love the fact that you made the raw chocolate too! Wish raw cocoa butter wasn't so expensive, I want to make some too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you :-)
      I agree, I use cacao butter very carefully too, because it is so expensive, sometimes I use coconut oil instead of cacao butter, tastes awesome, only difference is coconut oil starts melting at room temperature and the 'chocolate-chips' will become 'chocolate suace' ;-) ... for ice cream it will still work :-)

      Delete