October 22, 2013

Carrot Cream 'Cheese' Spread



Bagel and cream cheese would be an easy breakfast 'fix' in any dynamic american kitchen or office break room. I have to admit, we too have 'enjoyed' that a long time ago, when we used to think if we buy low fat or fat free cream cheese we are all set! Did not think how fat free cheese can be so creamy or what they need to add to make it fluffy and spreadable and long lasting? Not anymore, I don't worry about those low fat or fat free cream cheese or any of those store bought condiments anymore because I stopped buying them long back. Now, when I take away bad things from the menu, I should substitute it with good or better things, shouldn't I? Here is my substitute for a yummy 'cream cheese' spread which is made with organic, wholesome ingredients. I feel this is actually not a substitute, but it is the right thing to do, and tastes so much better that you'd want to try it right away.




  • Raw cashew nuts - 1/2 cup (Soaked overnight)
  • Lemon juice - 1-2 Tbs (from half a lemon)
  • Sea salt - a pinch
  • Carrot pulp - 3/4 cup
  • Dried oregano - 2 tsp
  • Black pepper corns -1/2 -1 tsp

  • Add soaked cashews, lemon juice and salt along with 1/4 cup of soaking liquid to a blender jar and blend till smooth and creamy.
  • Transfer to a bowl, add carrot pulp, oregano and crushed black pepper.
  • Mix well, add more salt if needed.
  • There, you have the carrot cream 'cheese' spread. Spread on your toast, crackers, serve as a dip. Enjoy :-)

    Note: Click here for recipe of my wholewheat coconut bread shown in the picture.

Sharing this on:
Raw Food Thursday

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea to incorporate carrots into a cashew cheese! Thanks for sharing it at Raw Foods Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this today and the kids loved it. Great idea for kids lunch box ! Thanks Mini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks primavera, and great to know that your kids loved it :-)

      Delete