October 20, 2013

Ginger-Coconut No-Bake Fruit Cake

When it comes to desserts or snacks or snack-desserts, I am all for wholesome treats which involves minimal cooking and processing. Even better, if there is no cooking/baking involved. Here is a fruit-cake which can be put together in no time and uses only basic wholesome ingredients. I make a lot of raw treats and always look for new exciting ideas.

This one started with a beautifully presented Peach Tarts from The kitchn. The coconut and ginger combination was so inviting and the tarts looked so beautiful that I added that to my 'to make list'. As my regular readers might have already noticed, I am not someone with a lot of patience or aesthetic eyes when it comes to food presentation. I work more with my taste buds and so do my food testers or tasters (whichever way you want to call my husband and my son). I think that some ingredients cannot go wrong whichever way you make it or present it. One such pair would be coconut and ginger. If you agree, then this no-bake fruit cake is for you to try :-)




  • Organic raw sunflower seeds ** - 1/2 cup 
  • Organic unsweetened dried shredded coconut - 1/2 cup 
  • Organic chia seeds -2 Tbs 
  • Himalayan salt - 1/8 tsp 
  • Pitted medjool dates - 2-3
  • Fresh ginger - 1-2 Tbs grated with juice (Adjust according to your preference)
  • Cold pressed virgin coconut oil  - 2 Tbs 
  • Fruits - 1 medium peach or nectarine or apple 
  • Squeeze of lemon juice

  • Grind chia seeds in a coffee or spice grinder.
  • Add sunflower seeds, coconut and salt in a food prep or blender and pulse till coarsely ground. 
  • Add dates and grated ginger and continue pulsing till everything just starts to combine together to form a 'dough'
  • Transfer to a bowl, add coconut oil and ground chia and mix well.
  • Grease a 4 inch spring form pan with a pat of coconut oil.
  • Chop fruit really small and thin.
  • Spread 1/3rd of the dough into the pan and press well. Layer 1/2 of chopped fruit. Spread another third of dough and press well. Repeat the fruit and dough layer pressing each layer firmly.
  • Remove the cake from the pan. Slice and serve. 

** you can substitute sunflower seeds with walnuts or pecans. 

2 comments:

  1. So adorable!!! I love quick desserts, and yours has such pure ingredients too. Love it! Thanks for sharing this at Raw Foods Thursdays. You always have such great contributions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather for those nice words :-) Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete