October 26, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Snack Cake

Yes, I do bake! In fact, I used to bake a lot, but I have now learned, and also enjoy the fun of making treats bypassing the baking process :). I have been making a lot of raw treats and no-bake cakes and cookies lately, which has significantly reduced the use of my oven. My take is, if something can be eaten raw then we should eat it like that.

I have a 12 year old who makes his judgement on the snacks and treats offered at school social gatherings or birthday parties and gracefully says 'no thank you' to most of them. So I feel that I also have a responsibility to give better snack options to him, because kids being kids like to have snacks. 

This one is more of an after-school snack than a dessert. It is quick and easy to whip up, and uses only wholesome ingredients. I did not want to overcook the pumpkin, so I directly puree the sugar pumpkin and used it in this recipe. Most recipes you find on the web calls for canned puree, which is cooked, and the baking involves further cooking, so you end by overlooking the pumpkin which I wanted to avoid.





  • Sugar pumpkin ~ 1 cup (skinned and cubed)
  • Coconut palm sugar - 1/4 cup
  • Homemade coconut milk - 1/2 cup (recipe here)
  • Virgin cold pressed coconut oil - 1 Tbs
  • Whole wheat pastry flour - 1 cup
  • Baking soda - 1 tsp
  • Sea salt  -  1/4 tsp
  • Cloves - 4-5
  • Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp

  • Add cinnamon, soda and salt to the flour and mix well.
  • Grease 2 4-inch spring form pans with a pat of coconut oil.
  • Blend pumpkin cubes along with coconut milk and cloves to a smooth puree. Add coconut oil and blend till mixed well.
  • Transfer to a bowl, add sugar and whisk with a fork.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine well.
  • Divide the batter into 2 halves and fill the 2 pans equally.
  • Bake in your toaster oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment