There is one favorite cookie that I have been making for the past few years - Oatmeal coconut cookies or ANZAC biscuits. This time though, I decided to make one change and replace oatmeal with grated pumpkin. I flavored half of the batch with cardamom and the other half with cinnamon both flavors compliment the pumpkin flavor very well.
- Sugar Pumpkin - 1/2 cup (grated - see notes)
- Organic whole wheat pastry flour - 1/2 cup
- Organic dried shredded coconut - 1/2 cup
- Organic coconut palm sugar - 3-4 Tbs
- Virgin coconut oil - 3 Tbs.
- Local honey - 1 Tbs.
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Warm water - 1 Tbs.
- Powdered cardamom or cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp. ( optional )
- Mix grated pumpkin, coconut, flour, sugar and cardamom/cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a small bowl add coconut oil and honey and melt keeping over warm water.
- Mix baking soda and a tablespoon of warm water and add to melted oil/ honey and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a spoon to form a dough. No need to over mix or kneed the dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and form balls.
- Lay them separated by an inch or so on a cookie sheet. Press them slightly.
- Bake in your toaster oven at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire racks and store in air tight containers.