- Organic whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Organic unbleached all purpose flour - 1 cup
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- Organic milk (lukewarm) - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Anise seeds - 1 tsp (I substituted with carom seeds/ajwain/omam)
- Organic milk (lukewarm) 1/3 cup
- Organic raw sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Yeast - 1 tsp
- Place the warm milk in a small bowl, stir in the sugar and then mix in yeast, then set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes, till frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the two flours and salt.
- Crush anise seeds slightly between your palms and add that to the flour mixture.
- Add the yeast mixture and warm milk to make a dough.
- Knead into a ball and knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes, adding extra flour water as necessary to make an elastic dough.
- Place on floured baking tray and press down with your hand to make round breads about 5-6 inches in diameter. (I just put the dough on a 6 inch cake pan so that I have nice round shape)
- Cover with clean damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for about 2 hours, till it is doubled in size.
- It is ready to bake when the dough springs back if gently pressed with a finger.
- Sprinkle the loaf with the sesame seeds.
- Bake in your toaster oven @ 400 deg for first 12-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 and continue baking for about 20-25 minutes till they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Serve warm.