February 21, 2014

Roasted Taro & Quinoa Salad

What comes to my mind when I think about Taro a.k.a Chembu in my language? All the traditional South Indian dishes that we make with it like pulissery, olan, pulinkari, puzhukku and many more. So how about making a warm salad with taro? I said warm, so it is not a raw salad, I am going to cook it :-).

Taro is a nutrient rich root vegetable to include in your diet. It helps lower blood pressure, helps boost immunity with multiple vitamins, has low sodium, rich in fiber and has low glycemic index which is a plus too. Also, like some other types of yams, it is a natural source of phytoestrogen which helps to  balance the estrogen levels in women. Have mood swings or other PMS? Start eating some taro ;-) 

So this salad is my way to include taro in my regular weekday lunch salads. I am using pan roasted taro along with some wilted kale and cooked quinoa.. yum




For the Salad:
  • Taro - 4 small
  • Quinoa - 1 cup (Soaked overnight or 6-8 hours) 
  • Red onion - 1 
  • Green chilly - 3-4
  • Garlic - 3-4 cloves
  • Kale - 8-10 leaves (or any other greens or cabbage)
  • EV Coconut oil - 1 Tbs
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp

  • Cook quinoa with 11/2 cups of water. 
  • Meanwhile, wash and peel taro, slice into thin slices. 
  • Chop onion, garlic and green chilly.
  • Slice kale very thin. 
  • Heat coconut oil on medium heat, add turmeric powder and sauté onion, garlic and green chilly for a few seconds.
  • Add taro slices and give a rough stir to coat them with onion/garlic/chilly and turmeric. Cook covered for 8-10 minutes. You might want to reduce heat and keep checking every minute or so to make sure they do not burn.
  • Once taro is done, add sliced kale and cook till it is just wilted. Remove from flame. 
  • Add to a bowl, add cooked quinoa and mix well. 
  • Serve with the freshly whisked dressing. Enjoy! 
  • This serves 3-4




Dressing:

  • EV olive oil - 3 Tbs 
  • Lemon juice - from one lemon
  • Sea salt and pepper - as per taste - freshly ground
  • Raw hemp hearts - 3 Tbs

  • Whisk everything together. 

Sharing this on:
Wellness Weekend
Healthy Vegan Fridays
Plant-based Potluck Party@Urbannaturale

2 comments:

  1. My what a delightful and hearty meal you have created. I love the idea of pairing a root vegetable with quinoa and kale. It is just enough to leave you satisfied. I must admit that I have not cooked Taro before so I look forward to trying this recipe. I am so glad I hopped by from Healthy Vegan Fridays. You are also invited to share your plant-based, vegan and raw recipes, smoothies, juices, cookbooks and more at the “Plant-Based Potluck Party” Link Up @http://urbannaturale.com/join-the-food-fun-at-the-plant-based-potluck-party-link-up/
    All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, glad you love this salad :-)
      Thanks for the invite, I will surely check out Plant-Based Potluck Party !!

      Delete