March 30, 2014

Chettinad Style Salmon Curry

Though I grew up as a vegetarian in a pure vegetarian family, I married someone from the coastal part of Kerala. In some of the coastal homes in Kerala, fish is considered as 'vegetarian' and his home was no exception ;-). Though I was not keen initially, I started eating and took a liking to fish while I was pregnant. I started cooking fish after I moved to the US. So my recipes are either recipes that I developed from the taste I remember eating at my in-law's home or recipes passed over phone conversations from my mom-in-law, and the rest are from the internet :-). For somebody who has not grown up eating or cooking fish, I think I make pretty good fish curries, looking at how the two foodies at my home enjoy them. 

Here's a quick'n'easy fish curry which is originally made with any south Indian fish variety, but I generally make it with Salmon. I hear some of my friends say they cannot imagine Salmon with Indian spices, maybe that is because they have not tried it out and hence they don't know what they are missing ;-)

As always, please note that quick'n'healthy only recommends buying and consuming sustainably caught seafood in moderation. 



Ingredients:
  • Set 1:
    • Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
    • Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
    • Red chilly - 3-4
    • Garlic-2 cloves
    • Red Onion - 1/2 chopped roughly
    • Tomato - 1 small chopped roughly
  • Set 2:
    • Shredded coconut - 1/4 cup
    • Coriander seeds - 1 Tbs.
    • Tamarind - 1 Tbs (skin and seeds removed) 
  • Set 3 :
    • Coconut Oil - 1 Tbs.
    • Fenugreek  seeds - 1/2 tsp
    • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
    • Red Onion - 1/2 medium - chopped fine
    • Garlic - 3 cloves chopped
    • Tomato - 1 small chopped
  • Set 4:
    • Wild caught Alaskan Salmon - 2 steaks
    • Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
    • Sea Salt- to taste
    • Coriander leaves chopped for garnish
Directions:
  • Clean and cut Salmon into bite sized pieces.
  • Heat oil in a pan and add everything under 'Set 1' one by one and sauté for a couple of minutes and add this  to a blender jar. Add everything under 'Set 2' also to the blender jar. Add a cup of water and grind everything to a fine purée.
  • Heat oil and add mustard seeds. When they op , add fenugreek seeds and sauté till slightly red. Add everything else from 'Set 3' and sauté until raw smell leaves. 
  • Add the ground coconut-masala purée and turmeric. Add more water if you need thinner gravy. Add salt and allow it to boil for 15-20 minutes.
  • When gravy reaches desired thickness, check taste and add salmon pieces. Allow it to boil and let the fish to cook well for about 10 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
  • Set aside for a couple of hours for before serving for best taste. Enjoy !!


4 comments:

  1. awesome recipe..I know its going to be absolutely delicious..I will be making this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Primavera, I am sure the 'meen' lovers in your home will love it ;-)

      Delete
  2. Chettinad salmon curry with coconut milk looks yumm Mini. Thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for highlighting it in your blog party !!

      Delete