April 24, 2014

Fig Coconut Oatmeal Breakfast Squares

My son's school has a visionary head of school who over the past few years has brought in revolutionary changes to their lunch menu. They buy only organic and local produce (as much as possible). The meat, poultry and diary they get is organic, humane and free range. They serve a nutritious and satisfying meal to kids with a variety of salads, soups, main courses, and desserts (mostly fruit based). They have a lot of options for vegans, vegetarians and flexible vegetarians (like my son). Something I really adore is their dessert serving size: as per my son they give a teeny tiny portion :-). That is quite in line with quick'n'healthy's dessert policy. The kids even get to eat pizza some days, but they stick to their ingredient standards.

Now, these are all positives that I like about the school. On a regular day, I don't have to worry about what my son will get to eat. Then there are socials, the Valentine's day party, Halloween party and more, where the school chefs are not making the food. I am all for kids socializing and having fun with their friends. My problem is with the food (that too junk food) in these parties. In all these parties, they serve loads of sugar in the form of cupcakes, doughnuts, marshmallows, Gatorade, you name it. I don't complain to the volunteer parents because I usually cannot volunteer for these events because of work schedules and my long commute to school. I think I should not complain about things where I cannot really contribute to any change. What I can do is to supplement my son with something that he can fall back on. I have educated him enough to make good choices wherever possible. I give him a wholesome and filling breakfast and he usually checks on the web on what is for lunch that day at school. So if there a 'party' in between in his class, he is generally not hungry (both literally and emotionally). The problem is when he has a social or party after school. On those occasions, I generally supplement him with something wholesome and filling that he can fall back on. Something like an energy bar, a box of cut fruits, or one banana.

Here is one such quick'n'healthy option that you can make ahead of time. It is made with oats, though I am pretty sure you can make this with buckwheat as well if you want a gluten-free version. Send them to school as a snack or take with you to work as breakfast or snack. It is power packed, so it is perfect for your hiking/biking trips, or other outdoor activities.



Ingredients: 
  • Fig - 1 cup (chopped into small pieces)
  • Steel cut oats - 1 cup + 1 cup
  • Dried shredded coconut - 1 cup
  • Chia seeds - 1/2 cup
  • Virgin coconut oil -1/2 cup
  • Flax seeds - 2 Tbs
  • Himalayan pink salt - 1/2 tsp
  • Cinnamon powder - 2 tsp
  • Dried ginger powder - 2 tsp
Directions:
  • Soak chopped fig in 1/2 cup of warm water for 30 minutes to soften. Blend them in a blender or food processor. Add coconut oil also and continue blending till mixed well.
  • Powder the flax seeds in your coffee grinder and mix with 1/2 cup of water and set aside for 5 minutes to gel.
  • Powder 1 cup of oats, mix with remaining dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • Mix in the fig-coconut oil mixture and flax meal. Mix well to form a rough dough. 
  • Spread into a 8 X 8 baking dish lined with parchment paper and press evenly.
  • Bake at 350 deg toaster oven for 20-25 minutes. 
  • Let it cool and cut into 2 inch squares. 
  • This makes 16 squares. Enjoy it for breakfast, or as a power snack :-)

6 comments:

  1. Your Coconut Oatmeal Breakfast Squares look so tasty and the ingredients are so wholesome too. Thank you for sharing them with us at the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mini,
    What a creative and satisfying vegan breakfast idea! I bet the children will devour them! Thank you so much for sharing these healthy and delicious Fig Coconut Oatmeal Breakfast Squares at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I can't wait to make them for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah, and thanks for highlighting @ plant based pot luck party

      Delete
  3. I really like how dense they look. I know they must be very satisfying. Great recipe! =)

    ReplyDelete