Looking for a cool, spicy way to eat collard greens? Here is a great idea... roll'em up with some cooked yam and dip them in a spicy chutney. It is flexible to be eaten as rolls or cut them up and eat them like sushi rolls. You can serve them as appetizer or snack or as a quick lunch like we do at quick'n'healthy kitchen :-) You can very well pack them in your lunch box. It is just like a salad, no warming up required, just grab them whenever you are hungry. So go ahead and try this plant-based, grain-free green rolls which do not require any refined flour/sugar/oil.
- Collard leaves - 5-6
- Yam/Taro or a combination - 2 medium or 3 small
- Green chilly - 2-3
- Ginger - 2 Tbs (chopped)
- Shredded coconut -1/4 cup
- Himalayan pink salt - as per taste
- Virgin coconut oil - 2 Tbs
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Grate the yam/taro, chop green chilly and ginger.
- Heat coconut oil in and saute green chilly and ginger for a few seconds. Add grated yam and cook covered on medium heat for 5-10 minutes or till just cooked enough. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the thick stems off the collard leaves and give them a quick steam. (Or just use them raw, they will be more crunchy and of course more nutritious). Cut each leaf thru the middle stem.
- Take a little bit of the yam mixture and put it on the leaf and roll. Repeat for the rest of the mixture and leaves.
- Serve with a spicy dipping sauce or chutney. Enjoy!!
Green Mango Chutney:
- Green mango - 1/2 a mango - peeled and cubed
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 2-3 Tbs
- Green chilly - 3-4
- Coriander leaves - a small bunch
- Sea salt - as per taste
- Blend everything to a chutney consistency.
- Serve with your green rolls. Enjoy!!