I do the grinding in my vitamix, but I would assume it should be easily done in a regular blender too since the grains are soaked. Total preparation time is around 30 minutes including the grinding and making the pancakes. I also managed to whip up the topping while I am waiting to flip each pancake. So even on a busy weekday morning you can enjoy these quick'n'healthy and satisfying breakfast :-). This is a neutral flavored basic pancake recipe. You can give it your own touches, make them sweet or savory or make them as is and serve with sweet or savory toppings.
If you would like to know quick'n'healthy's take on why soaking is important, read it here:
- Grains/seeds - 1 cup (You can use steel cut oats, buckwheat, brown rice etc.)
- Homemade organic yogurt/butter milk - 1 cup
- Sea salt - 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Organic free range eggs - 2 (see below for vegetarian substitution)
- Soak the grains/seeds in yogurt/buttermilk overnight.
- Grind the them along with salt until fine using a blender.
- Add eggs one by one and whisk slightly.
- Mix baking soda and mix well.
- Keep the batter aside for 30 minutes or so.
- Make pancakes. Makes about 10 medium pancakes.
- Serve them sweet with raw honey & fresh cut fruits, or serve them savory with a savory topping. See below for some ideas.
- Enjoy !!
** To make vegetarian version:
- Flax seeds - 2 Tbs (or chia seeds)
- Filtered water - 1/2 cup
- Powder flax seeds using a coffee grinder.
- Mix with water and set aside for 5 minutes to gel up.
Sweet topping options:
Savory topping ideas:
Sharing this on: