Barfi or katli is any Indian sweet lover's weakness. Problem with them is that they are too sweet for even barfi fans like my husband. That too sweetened with (who knows what kind of and how much) refined sugar. You could use a healthier version or a pure form of sugar. Even better would be if you could make a quick'n'healthy alternative for the barfi itself. These awesome barfis are made with homemade almond butter and sweetened only with dried figs. It is sweetened just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth and at the same time you get the nutritional benefits of figs. Above all, you won't believe it is so easy to make !!
- Almonds - 2 cups (or 1 cup almond butter)
- Pink himalayan salt - a pinch (for the almond butter)
- Figs - 2 cups (chopped)
- Cardamom - 4-5 (skin removed and powdered)
- Virgin coconut oil - 2 Tbs (optional)*
- Make almond butter with the nuts. Get recipe here:
- Add chopped figs to a high speed blender jar or food processor jar and process till you get a coarse fig-spread consistency. (High speed blender works really well for this - @high speed for 30-40 seconds)
- Transfer to a bowl. Add the almond butter, cardamom powder and coconut oil (if using) and mix well.
- Line a 4x8 tray or baking dish with parchment paper. Spread the almond fig mix and press well evenly.
- Freeze till firm and cut into desired shapes.
Note: Avoid coconut oil if you are planning to take it outside in warm weather.