November 9, 2014

Easy 'Cheesy' Kale Chips

These days, you cannot miss seeing packets of kale chips by different brands, big and small, on the shelves of your grocery store. I have tried a few myself. They are an awesome concept for a couple of reasons. You can satisfy your chips cravings with this good alternative. It is also a creative way to eat kale for those who do not care for the vegetable otherwise. I have had couple of issues with the store bought kale chips though. Some of them are too salty for me, and some others tasted rancid maybe because of poor quality of nuts used. Hence I needed to come up with my own version so that I can control the flavors and the ingredients. My version is not raw, but I use the lowest temperature in my oven to mimic dehydration and to preserve as much nutrition as possible. Though, I am calling these 'cheesy' it does not have any cheese in it, but has a cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast. So try these crunchy delights and you could get hooked on to it. Nothing wrong with that considering this snack is packed with a load of vitamins and minerals from Kale and your vitamin B12 supplement from nutritional yeast. 




Ingredients:

  • Kale - 4-5 medium leaves
  • Cashews - 1/2 cup (soaked for 4-6 hours)
  • Bell pepper - 1 
  • Green chilly - 1-2
  • Garlic - 1-2 cloves
  • Himalayan pink salt - as per taste
  • Nutritional yeast - 1/4 cup

Directions:

  • Wash the kale leaves, pat dry, remove the stem and tear into chip sized pieces. Keep aside in a bowl.
  • Drain the soaked cashews add them to a blender or food processor jar. Add chopped bell pepper, green chilly, garlic, nutritional yeast and salt and puree till you nice and creamy sauce. 
  • Preheat oven to the lowest temperature (mine was at 170 deg F).
  • Pour the prepared cashew sauce over the kale pieces and mix well to coat evenly.
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon lining and spread the coated kale pieces without overlapping much.
  • Bake at 170 deg F for about 4 hours or till completely dry and crispy.
  • Let it cool and store it in air tight container (if there is anything left ;-) 
  • Enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. Love the background on that photo. It's probably the fabric on your sofa or something. It complements the kale shapes so well. I'm going to be harvesting the rest of the beetroot soon and was thinking of making those into chips as I love the shop bought veg-chips. (We call them crisps, it's a UK thing.) Would like to do with without deep frying them though. Do you have a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, Sorry, I have never tried beetroot chips.. they sound interesting for sure, would have to give them a try sometime..

      Delete