Do you still take store brought breakfast cereals? If yes, then is is time for a rethink. Now what if we can make our own healthy breakfast cereals ahead on weekends?, and that too if they are easy to do and tastes better than those store brought stuff that is highly processed, may contain GMOs and laden with sugar and what not.
I have made different varieties of homemade granolas before, but since we have started learning about soaking and activating nuts and grains, I have been making less of them. Recently I have been experimenting a lot with soaking and dehydrating my nuts and grains. Maybe it is time for me to invest in a dehydrator. For now, I am using my oven at the lowest temperature setting as my makeshift defydrator. Idea is to keep as much of the nutrients and active enzymes from the ingredints intact by not heating at a higher temperature. In this granola for example, I use soaked oats, soaked nuts, honey and homemade yogurt, and all of them have active nutrients which are high heat sensitive.
- - 4 cups
- Filtered water - 1 cup
- Homemade organic yogurt - 1 cup
- Homemade organic ghee - 2 Tbs (optional)
- Virgin coconut oil - 1/4 cup
- Raw unpasteurized honey - 1/4- 1/2 cup
- Himalayan pink salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp
- Shredded coconut - 1 cup
- Chopped nuts - 1 cup
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, water, ghee and melted coconut oil. Add oats and let it soak for 24 hours on your countertop.
- Soak nuts in a seperate bowl in enough filtered water to cover completely.
- The next day, start by preheating the oven to 175 deg F.
- Drain the nuts, rinse well with cold water and spread on a clean kitchen towel.
- Melt honey over warm water, mix cinnamon and salt. Add this along with coconut to the oats mixture.
- Add drained nuts to the oats mixture too.
- Spread on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or silicon liner. Bake at 170 deg F for about 7-8 hours or till completely dry and crispy.
- Let it cool completely before storing in air tight containers.
- Serve with milk or yogurt along with fresh fruits. Enjoy!!