Patra is a Gujarati dish which is made with steamed colocasia leaves and coated with a batter made with besan (chickpea flour) or rice flour. My version here is made with collard leaves and the batter is made with soaked channa dal. This can be served as a healthy snack, appetizer or as a side dish which is gluten-free, vegan and quicknhealthy :).
- Collard greens - 1 bunch ( about 12 leaves)
- Channa dal - 1 cup soaked for 6-8 hours
- Green chilly - 1-2
- Lemon juice - from a lemon
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Ajwain/Omam - 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
- Sea salt - as per taste
- Drain and grind the channa dal with salt, lemon juice and green chilly adding very extra little water (just enough for the blender to run).
- Add the spices and mix well.
- Wash the collard greens and wipe them with a kitchen towel. Cut them thru the center and remove the stem.
- Lay one collard leaf half with ribbed face up. Take about 2 tablespoons of the batter and spread evenly on the leaf. Lay one more leaf half on top of the first one and repeat the same. Roll them together as tightly as you can.
- Repeat with the rest of the leaves and batter.
- Meanwhile keep a steamer or pasta boiler ready with water boiling.
- Steam the rolled collard leaves for about 10 minutes.
- Let it cool down a little bit before slicing.
- Slice them into 1/2 inch thick slices.
For optional tempering:
- Coconut oil - 1 Tbs
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Green chilly - 1-2 slit into halves
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat and add mustard seeds. When they start popping, add cumin and fennel, curry leaves and green chilly one by one. Saute for a couple of minutes, switch off and sliced patra. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice.