It has been brutally cold for the past few weeks, and it is in these times that we crave for something warm and spicy in our lunch box. I prefer something warm and yet does not need a lot of cooking, something satisfying and yet light on your stomach. Here's one that fits the bill and my lunch box... a quick'n'healthy quinoa salad with chickpeas, veggies, fruits and nuts.
- Quinoa - 1 cup (Soaked overnight)
- Chickpeas - 1/2 cup (Soaked overnight)
- EV olive oil - 4 Tbs
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves (minced)
- Green chilly - 4-5 (chopped)
- Green beans - 1 cup (chopped fine)
- Bell pepper (multiple colors) - 2 cup (chopped fine)
- Green mango - 1 cup (chopped fine, or 2-3 Tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- Baby greens - 2 cups (spinach, kale or a mix)
- Almonds - 1/2 cup (roughly chopped)
- Salt - as per taste
- Apples - 2 (chopped)
- Drain and rinse quinoa well, cook with 1 cup of water. Drain and rinse chickpea and cook with 1/2 cup of water. (I use pressure cooker for both)
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and saute garlic and green chilly for a couple of minutes. Add chopped green beans and cook covered till green beans are almost done. (for about 5-6 minutes)
- Add chopped bell pepper, chopped mango (if using) and chopped greens and sauté till warm and greens are just wilted.
- Switch off, transfer to a bowl, add chopped apples, almonds, salt, lemon juice (if using) and remaining olive oil. Mix everything well and serve immediately or as a packed lunch.
- Makes 3 to 4 servings. Enjoy!!