Here is yet another recipe for the lunch box. A middle eastern style pilaf made with bulgur wheat, chickpeas, greens and apples, and mildly spiced with aromatic middle eastern style spice mix. For a gluten-free option, substitute bulgur with quinoa or wild rice. Easy to put together and packs well for a warm winter day lunch. Substitute chickpeas with other kinds of beans/lentils for variations.
- Bulgur wheat - 1/2 cup (soaked overnight)
- Black chickpeas - 1/2 cup (Soaked overnight)
- Middle eastern style spice mix - 2 tsp (recipe below)
- Sea salt - as per taste
- EV olive oil - 2-3 Tbs
- Red onion - 1
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Baby kale - 4 cups (or spinach)
- Bell pepper - 1 (chopped fine)
- Apple - 1 (chopped)
- Minced coriander/mint leaves- 1/4 cup
- Drain and cook chickpeas with 1/2 cup of water using a sauce pan or pressure cooker.
- Once chickpea is almost cooked, add drained bulgur wheat and continue cooking till all water is absorbed and everything is cooked well. (note: soaked bulgur will cook in no time)
- Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil, sauté garlic till slightly golden. Add onion and sauté till slightly pink.
- Add cooked chickpea and bulgur, along with the spices and salt. Add chopped greens and bell pepper and cook till just wilted.
- Switch off add chopped apples and minced coriander/mint leaves and mix well.
- Serve warm or pack for a warm packed lunch.
- Makes 3-4 servings. Enjoy!!
Middle Eastern Style Spice Mix
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- Cardamom - 4
- Red chilly - 4-5
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp (or 1 inch stick)
- Grind everything using a coffee grinder.