The story for the past few weeks in the New England areas has been " If it is Monday, then it is a snowstorm" :-). 3 weeks of heavy snow, schools off (or delayed) and work-from-home days..., it is all happening. When its snowing outside and you are working remotely from home, you can loose focus (and control), and reach out for one or two extra mid-day snacks than usual :-). It is good to have a few options of healthy energy rich and nutritious snacks for such days. Preferably made with wholesome ingredients and without any processed ingredients, and more importantly without added sugar. Here is a recipe for a spiced barfi or bites made with goji berries, dried coconut, virgin coconut oil, spices and lightly sweetened with a few dates. A perfect mid day snack for a winter day, can also be used as an energy snack before your workout.
- Goji berries - 1 cup
- Dates - 3-4 (optional)
- Shredded coconut - 1 1/2 cup
- Red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp (or vary based on your preference)
- Ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- Himalayan pink salt - a pinch
- Virgin coconut oil - 1/2 cup
- Add goji berries and dates (if using to a food processor or blender) and process till everything is powdered coarsely.
- Add remaining ingredients and process till everything is combined well to form a dough.
- Line a tray with parchment paper and transfer the dough and press down evenly.
- Set aside in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to harden.
- Cut into preferred shapes sizes and serve. In warm weather, you should keep this refrigerated till ready to serve.
- Makes about 30 1' square barfis. Enjoy!!