Today's recipe is a bread made without any flour or grains, and made with yam and coconut. It is not your regular loaf of bread, but more of a contemporary bread which you cut instead of slice :-). No refined sugar, refined oil or other processed ingredients are used. It is grain-free, gluten-free, vegan and paleo friendly. The bread has a nice flavor to it and you can use it in a variety of ways.
This recipe was first introduced in the quicknhealthy kitchen to satisfy the sandwich craving of our son when we were on a kind of a detox after a vacation. I made a sandwich with this bread, using an avocado spread along with sautéed onions and baby greens, but the bread can be enjoyed warm just as is or with your favorite spread or in another kind of warm or cold sandwich too.
- Yam - 2 (medium) (garnet yam, sweet potato)
- Dried shredded coconut - 1 1/2 cup
- Flax meal (flax seeds powdered) - 4 Tbs
- Arrowroot powder - 4 Tbs
- EV Olive oil -2 Tbs
- Himalayan salt - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - from one medium lemon
- Dried oregano - 1 Tbs
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Peel and cut yams into small cubes. Add to a food processor and process till finely chopped (almost like a coarse powder).
- Add coconut, flax meal and arrowroot powder and continue processing till everything starts to combine and form like a dough.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Keep the dough aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon sheet.
- Spread the dough into an 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Keep aside to cool and cut into 8 squares about the size of a bread slice.
- Serve with your favorite spread or use to make sandwiches.