If you like baked goods, homemade is always the best way to go for a lot of reasons. You can quality control the ingredients, you can play around with flavors that you like and flavors that you dislike and find your own unique blends of flavors. Here is an adaptation of Italian Apple cake into a more intense flavored quick and easy apple cake. Best part of this cake is that even without any frosting or decoration the cake looks absolutely gorgeous and tastes awesome too.
- Flour (half all purpose + half wholewheat pastry flour) - 1 cup
- Melted coconut oil - 1/2 cup
- Free range organic eggs - 2
- Jamaican rum - 2 Tbs (or just use 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- Organic coconut palm sugar - 1/2 cup
- Baking soda - 1/2 heaping tsp
- Citric acid - 1/4 heaping tsp
- Apples - 1 large or 2 medium.
- Preheat oven to 325 deg F.
- Line a 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil.
- Slice the apples to 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Mix the flour with baking soda and citric acid and whisk well.
- Beat coconut oil and sugar together till nice and creamy. Beat eggs one by one into it. Add rum and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour the batter to the lined pan. Arrange the apples on top in any desired pattern. Press the apple slices into the batter as you go.
- Bake at 325 deg for 50-60 minutes.
- Let it cool down before slicing.