My son loves Parathas with pretty much anything. So going with the seasonal theme, it is pumpkin parathas this time of the year. Pumpkin comes loaded with vitamins and minerals - vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium to name a few. You can use any variety of pumpkin for this, or you can also use any winter squash too. Pumpkins also give a nice color to your Parathas, you can serve it for festive occasions like Diwali to add color to your food and life :-)
Since pumpkin has a lot of moisture content, I am using it to directly knead the dough instead of making the paratha stuffing from it. You can serve it as a breakfast with yogurt, or serve it as dinner with your choice of side dishes, or you can also use it as a wrap for a to-go meal.
- Whole wheat flour - 2 cups (or more if needed for kneading)
- Pumpkin - 2 cups (Skinned and cubed)
- Fresh ginger root - 1 inch
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- Green chilly - 2
- Dried fenugreek leaves - 2 Tbs (Kasuri methi)
- Dried mango powder - 2 tsp (Amchur powder)
- Sea salt - as per taste.
- Coconut oil - 2 Tbs
- Add the pumpkin, ginger, garlic and green chilly to food processor and process till finely chopped (almost ground).
- Add wheat flour and all remaining ingredients to the food processor and continue to process till everything mixes together and forms a smooth dough.
- If the mixture is too dry drizzle water and continue. If the mixture is too sticky add a few tablespoons of wheat flour. It all depends on the moisture content of the pumpkin, use your judgement here.
- Take out the dough, make a smooth ball out of the dough and keep aside covered for about 30 minutes or so.
- When ready to make the parathas, heat a cast iron griddle.
- Take out small lime sized balls and roll out into approximately 6 inch circles.
- Cook on the hot pan till you start small bubbles rising up. Flip and repeat the same on the other side. Repeat this for a couple of times more till parathas are cooked evenly on both sides, it would take about 3-4 minutes in total.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Serve with yogurt or with your choice of side dishes.