Body butter is something I had been keen on making for a while and my initial trial came out well, but I was not happy with the consistency as it melted a lil during warmer weather. So here is an improved version and I am very happy with the result, have test marketed it with a few close friends and have their Thumbs-up as well.
I started off with my usual set of preferred ingredients. As always my hubby would start with Coconut oil, which is an all-purpose item for him and is the only cosmetic on his desk :-). Problem with coconut oil is that it liquefies at warmer temperatures, so wanted something that can neutralize it and beeswax was the perfect foil, besides the fact that it has great medicinal properties. Then I selected the rest of the ingredients for their skin nourishing properties. Finally I added a tinge of rose essential oil for a mild fragrance. The result is a very pleasing body butter made with simple ingredients that is wonderful for your skin and suitable for all weather conditions.
- Virgin coconut oil - 1/2 cup
- Shea butter - 1/2 cup
- Bees wax - 1/2 cup
- Almond oil - 1/2 cup
- Wheat germ oil (vitamin E oil) - 2 Tbs
- Pure rose essential oil - 30-40 drops
- Add coconut oil, shea butter and bees wax to a glass jar.
- Set the glass jar on a saucepan with water heating over medium heat.
- Keep stirring while the fats melt and become fluid.
- Once fats have melted completely remove from heat and add almond oil and wheat germ oil and mix well. Let the mixture cool down.
- Once completely cold, add rose oil (or any preferred scented essesntial oil) and mix well.
- Keep on couter top and wait till the mixture solidify again (keep in refrigerator if you are in a warm weather area).
- Once the mixture is solid but still soft, beat using a hand mixture or egg beater till light and fluffy (this step is optional to make a light and fluffy body butter).
- Transfer to containers and store in a cool dry area.
- This makes about 5, 4oz containers. Enjoy!!