Like many other regional delicacies, I have never tried making the original version :), I have only tasted versions made by different people I know. This one here is a quicknhealthy version, and that is not surprising right:-). In this version, I am using flattened rice (aka poha) instead of rice, and I am using dates instead of sugar. As always I try to use as much of organic ingredients as possible. Here is a vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free snack.
- Aval (poha or flattened rice) - 1 cup
- Dried shredded coconut - 1 cup
- Fresh ginger root - 1/2 inch (or use 1/2 tsp dried ginger)
- Himalayan pink salt - a pinch
- Dates - 8-10 (I used deglet noor dates)
- Powder flattened rice using a dry blender.
- Dry roast in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat for about 15 minutes, or till slightly turning brown and nice aroma starts coming.
- Dry roast the coconut till golden brown.
- If using fresh ginger, dry roast till excess moisture is absorbed.
- Let everything cool and powder in batches to get a coarse powder.
- Store in airtight container.
- Just like that, enjoy spoonfuls :-)
- Serve with sliced banana and/or warm milk as a filling snack or as a breakfast.