For the Plantain fans, here are two more recipes that can be made from this incredible fruit. For folks new to Plantain, try it and u will be a convert in no time. My son loves to have bread sometimes, but wheat/gluten does not suit us well. We are not gluten free, but try to reduce it. Having bread in the morning is very useful as there is not much prep required when everyone is looking for a quick bite and leave for work/school. This is not your regular bread, but is a contemporary bread, something that you can cut into whatever shape and size that you prefer. It has no flour in it as made with just ripe plantains and coconut. It is Vegan, Paleo and Gluten-free. There is another savory version with the unripe plantain which gives a different flavor, texture and color. The best part of this plantain bread is that it tastes awesome, and is really quick'n'healthy :-)
- Well ripened plantain - 4
- Dried shredded coconut - 2 cups
- Flax meal - 2 tsp
- Himalayan pink salt - 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove skin and cut plantain into small pieces. Add to food processor and start processing.
- Once plantain is completely mashed add remaining ingredients and continue tull you a get a thick 'batter'.
- Line a baking sheet with silicon sheet or parchment paper. Spread the batter into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. (Imagine 8 slices of bread kept side by side)
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Take out and carefully cut into 8 pieces (remember bread slices..)
- Flip the pieces and return the pan to oven and continue baking for another 20 or so monutes.
- Serve warm. Or, keep refrigerated and toast before serving.
- Makes 8 slices of bread. Enjoy!!
Green Plantain Bread
- Green plantain - 4
- Dried shredded coconut - 1 cup
- Flax meal - 2 tsp
- Himalayan pink salt - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 2 tsp (ground)
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp (ground)
- Follow the same procedure as above.
- Makes 8 slices of savory bread. Enjoy!!