I have another savory breakfast idea for today. It is inspired from my favorite cuisine, yes you guessed it right, Mediterranean cuisine!! Plenty of beans, vegetables, olive oil.. perfect for a filling and satisfying breakfast. Chickpea can be replaced with any other bean, and for bean hummus, play with your favorite beans. I am substituting tahini with almond butter, again that is just my preference. With a little bit of planning and prep work you can put this bowl together in no time for your busy morning. It is clean, gluten-free, vegan, diary-free and above all quicknhealthy. Serve this for breakfast or for lunch, or for dinner as well :-).
- Chickpeas - 3/4 cup (Soaked over night)
- Vaal Beans - 1/2 cup (Soaked over night) (Substitute with Fava, Lima or Cannellini beans)
- Spaghetti squash - 2 cups (cubes)
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves
- EV olive oil - 4 Tbs
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Sea salt - as per taste
- Homemade almond butter - 2 Tbs
- Lemon juice - from half a lemon
- Lemon wedges - to serve
- Drain and cook the Vaal (or Fava/Lima/Cannellini) beans with 1 cup of water. Let it cool. This can be done ahead of time so that you have cold beans ready to work with.
- Drain and cook the chickpeas with 1 cup of water and salt. This can be done ahead of time too.
- Drizzle olive oil in a pan and roast garlic till golden - transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan add spaghetti squash cubes and cook covered on medium heat turning them a few times taking care not to burn them.Cook till they can be flaked with a fork Add salt as per taste, remove from flame and set aside.
- To make your bean hummus - add cooked vaal beans, almond butter, roasted garlic, lemon juice, cumin seeds and enough salt to a blender jar and process till everything is puréed. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and continue till you smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl.
- To serve, divide the spaghetti squash and chickpeas and into serving bowls. Top with bean hummus, drizzle remaining olive oil and. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Serves 3. Enjoy!!