Hmm, so what is Kozhukutta Mappas? I would put it as nice comfort food, like a rice ball soup kerala style. As often happens in the quicknhealthy kitchen this is a scotch recipe that became a family favorite :-). Perfect for a light breakfast or as part of your Sunday brunch menu. I am using store-bought rice flour for this recipe, but this works very well with home made rice flour as well.
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Coconut oil - 3 Tbs
- Red onion - 1 (sliced)
- Green chilly - 2-3 (sliced)
- Fresh ginger root - 1 inch piece (julienned)
- Tomato - 3 (small, sliced thin)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sea salt - as per taste
- Cardamom - 1-2
- Cloves - 2-3
- Cinnamon sticks - 1-2 (thin 1 inch sticks)
- Boil 1 cup of water with a tablespoon of coconut oil and and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Switch off, remove from stove, add the rice flour and mix well with a spoon and keep it closed for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix it well with hand and make small balls (truffle-size).
- Steam the balls for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining coconut oil in a soup pot or saucepan. Add the whole spices and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add sliced onion, julienned ginger and sliced green chilly and sauté till onion is slightly golden. Add sliced tomato and sauté till soft and mushy.
- Add coconut milk, salt and turmeric powder. Add the steamed rice balls and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!!