Like many other recipes from the quicknhealthy kitchen, this was born out of desperation😄..just kidding. We were snowed in and naturally we were all craving for a warm savory snack. I did not want to make a deep fried snack, especially just after the holiday season when all of us are trying to reset and get back on track. Also, since it is a working day, I definitely wanted to go the quicknhealthy route. Here is a veggie cake made with ingredients you can easily find in you kitchen and requires very little actual prep/cooking time. This is made with other veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini etc.
- Bottle gourd - 1 medium
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- Rice flour- 1/4 cup
- Romano cheese - 1/3 cup (grated)
- Free range organic egg - 1
- Garlic- 1 clove (finely grated)
- Onion - 1 Tbsp (finely grated)
- Green chilly- 2-3 (finely grated)
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano- 1 tsp
- Remove skin and grate bottle gourd, mix with salt and keep aside for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, squeeze out most of the water from the veggie. Reserve the water for another recipe (a soup maybe).
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F
- Transfer the drained veggie to a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide into 10-12 equal sized balls. Shape into a small patty.
- Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Optionally drizzle few drops of olive or coconut oil on each patty.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (till slightly golden) flipping half way thru.
- Serve warm just as is or with your choice of dipping sauce.